I've just finished making half a dozen beakers - to be fired on Saturday in an open bonfire at the Oak Fair at Stock Gaylard. I'm happy that I am getting more confident and faster at making these by pinching two sections and joining them. But it is so slow compared to throwing on a wheel!
On Tuesday I tried firing a beaker while still damp, as per various folk's suggestions, to get over the problem of spalling, where chunks of the vessel blow off when exposed to the flames. As you can see from the photo, it did not work for me this time - that's what they call experimental archaeology!
Perhaps it was not wet enough or it was the wrong type of fire! Back to the drawing board with that one.
Post a Comment