Saturday 3 August 2013

Refreshed and Restarted

I'm back from Corfe Castle, after a couple of weeks demonstrating and selling pots. It went very well and was a great chance to unwind a bit and also make some more ancient pots.
They have now all been loaded into the wood kiln - as per photo. I'm aiming to fire that next Monday, for the first time a low temperature earthenware firing.
Hopefully that will produce the rest of the pots I need for the Hengistbury Head Visitor Centre pottery project, which need to be delivered soon.

I have also been making Udu Drums, inspired by Laurence Eastwood's attempts, mine are a strange mixture of African musical instrument decorated in the style of prehistorical British pottery vessels. I am looking forward to seeing how they emerge.

Talking of emerging, I've just read the Saatchi On-line Gallery's guide to Buying Emerging Art - downloadable at this link (Hopefully!). Very interesting sales pitch for their way of working, but I'm not convinced. I completely agree about only buying stuff you fall in love with, because you have to live with it, but then to say you need to choose an artist because they have been to the right college and/or won the right art awards seems to fall into their trap of following a formula, which ends up with the gallery's own stock of work becoming inflated in value because of the demand they have helped to create and maintain (often against the odds and by using some fairly shady methods). OK I may be a bitter and twisted Oldie, but I do think that most of us creative folk would do better without that perception abounding in the general public's view.
 
I am now in residence at the Upwey Village Hall again, this time as a guest of the Vyvyan-Penney family until 11th August. I am proud of the display, showing a variety of my recent output.
I have just sent out another Mail Chimp bulk email to our fans - it can be seen at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment